Unfortunately with all that happening I haven’t actually taken any pictures. I am sure the 60 or so more or less regular readers are extremely bummed 😉 but here is something to tide you over. These are over the course … Continue reading →
We have our final mortgage approved via ING, the loan expires on the 19th which is fast approaching! Sean told me we are going to have the inspector come out on Wednesday for final inspection and Bank Of America is … Continue reading →
Jenn and I where lucky to get to the house as Sean’s guys started the exterior stucco on Saturday. The interior flooring is coming along nicely and the cabinets are basically in. We still need counter-tops, railings, and a bunch … Continue reading →
We had another site visit today with Sean and Nathan. We spent a bunch of time looking at the kitchen and figuring out what to do with the cabinetry and our small island. We decided to move the cabinets back … Continue reading →
Jenn and I went up to the house yesterday to grab the keys! So now we are more official. Also, Sean started to lay down floors and hanging the cabinets. When we did the layout for the kitchen the elevations … Continue reading →
On Thursday they applied the scratch coat for the stucco. Next step for the outside is the brown coat, however, the scratch coat takes several days to cure, so once that is done the brown coat goes on. After waiting … Continue reading →
As promised, albeit a bit late, here are the renderings that Nathan and Gloria showed us last Friday. This is a view of the living room looking back at the kitchen. This is looking back at the stairway towards the … Continue reading →
Gloria and Nathan have been looking at an interior shear wall that would extend about six feet from the left wall as you are facing the back of the house. This wall would essentially cover the resin panel behind the stairs and destroy the floating feeling of the stairs. To address this they have proposed to use a Hardy steel brace frame to replace the wall. The frame required by our structural engineer is 6′ tall which presents a slight problem in that the ceiling height is 9′ and the frame needs to be bolted to the concrete stem walls. So, we need to raise the stem wall up through the subfloor and bolt it to that. Sean has agreed to make the changes and the cost difference, so far, looks to be around $800. Jenn and I spent a lot of time reviewing this as we were a bit concerned about having something “unfinished” looking in the bedroom area. However, after a lot of discussion we decided to go with Gloria and Nathan’s recommendation. The next decision regarding the stair well is the proposed mesh they want to use. There are pictures below. We feel it is a bit industrial, however, it is nice an open. Perhaps the floor to ceiling treatment is a bit intense, but also perhaps once the house is complete we could just remove it? I’d like to have the stair as open as possible.
Our friend Dudley drew up a shadow line detail for us to try save some money by not using the Fry Reglet reveal.
Basically you put a 2×4 down while you hang the dry wall then pull it out paint the framing black and put in a standard L-corner bead. Also, Steve pointed out this really cool company which makes cans for CCFC and LED lights. Something we really should look into. The company is called Axiom and their products look pretty cool.
I realize that I haven’t posted any pictures of what the house is actually going to look like. So here are some shots.A rendering of the house from the bottom of the lot. A rendering from the street level. And here is a sketch of the color scheme As you can see the house is going to be pretty modern, but I think Glora and Nathan did a great job of designing a “cool box” now we just need to get some concrete poured in the ground!